Michael Peterson’s wife was found dead at the bottom of the staircase in their North Carolina house on a December night in 2001, putting in motion one of the weirdest judicial cases in American history.
The Staircase, Netflix’s newest docuseries, delves into the complicated case of Michael Peterson, a novelist who was convicted in 2003 of murdering his wife, Kathleen Peterson after she was found unconscious at the foot of their home’s staircase.
The story is full of twists and weird interpretations surrounding what was clearly a bizarre situation. “This has become a show,” Peterson remarked of the trial.
The Staircase is a sequel to Jean-Xavier de Lestrade’s 2004 French series The Staircase (also known as Soupcons, or Suspicions), which followed Peterson’s narrative from his detention for the murder of his wife to his conviction.
This new documentary will look at Peterson after he was released from prison after it was found that the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation misled the public during the investigation and trial.
For the past 15 years, director Jean-Xavier de Lestrade’s life has been occupied with the series.
In 2004, De Lestrade debuted the series with eight episodes that followed Peterson, his family, and the defence team as they prepared for and went through the murder trial ).
In 2013, after Peterson was freed from prison pending a retrial, he returned with two more episodes.
Profile summary of Michael Iver Peterson
- Birth name: Michael Iver Peterson
- Date of birth: 23rd of October, 1943
- Age: 78 years old (as of 2021)
- Profession: Columnist, editor, and novelist
- Birthplace/hometown: Nashville, Tennessee, United States
- Nationality: American
- Religion: Roman Catholic
- S*******y: B******l
- Current residence: Durham, United States
- Ethnicity: White
- Zodiac sign: Scorpio
- Height: 5 feet and 8 inches
- Weight: 68 kilograms
- Body build: Fit
- Parents: Eugen Iver and Eleanor Peterson
- Siblings: William Eugene, John James, and Ann Ellen Peterson
- Marital status: Single
- Previous marriages: Patricia Sue Peterson (1965 to 1987), Kathleen Peterson (1997)
- Children: Clayton, Todd, Caitlin Atwater (stepdaughter), and Margaret and Martha Ratliff (adoptive daughters)
- Education: Hampton High School and Duke University
Michael Iver Peterson is an American novelist who was convicted in 2003 of murdering his second wife, Kathleen Peterson, on December 9, 2001.
After eight years, Peterson was granted a new trial after the judge ruled a critical prosecution witness gave misleading testimony.